Sunday, March 23, 2008

Journal#14- Cultural Identity



Taiwan has a variety of cultures. Because of different of group came to Taiwan and live about one hundred years ago. So we have about five main cultures in this small island. They are Abriginal culture, Fukien Province culture, Hakka culture, Emigrant group culture, Southeast Asia culture. Those cultures influence Taiwanese a lot. For this reason, you can see different culture activities and manners.What makes me unique? How do I display your cultural identity. First, In my family, our culture is Fukien Province culture. So I could speak both in Chinese and Fukien language. We afraid of ghost and god, so we have to sacrifices to god and ghost. I remembered since I was a little girl, my parents always take me to temple many times per year. Second, our culture is conservative and we bear hardships and hard work. So my parents always teach me by this kind of cultural identity. I do everything on my best and finish everything as soon as possible.On the other hand, Fukien Province culture is not the only one that makes me unique. I was influenced a lot form my background. I was born in a small family. There are my parents, older brother and me. So I am not like the other one in a big family. They can ask help from many people, but I can't. So I learned independent when I was a little girl. We are not rich but normal level. My father usually tell me it is not easy to make money, so we need to consider before we spend money. Because of it, I don't lose me mind for spending money.Third, in Taiwan, people usually kind and friendly. we are enthusiasm for both people and things. This is the way I used to be. I would like to help people when someone ask me help. I am very proud of it. Finally, different mix cultures influenced people in Taiwan a lot. So did I. Those makes me unique and do everything in the display of my culture identity.

No comments: