Sunday, May 4, 2008

journal#20 unacceptable behavior




In Taiwanese culture, there are some unacceptable things. For example, we don't like use numbers that is 4 and 10 in any situation, because 4 and 10 sounds like die in Chinese. So there is no 4 floor in hospital in Taiwan. People sometime want to change there ID number just because of 4 include it. I think it is a strange thing to foreigners. The other unacceptable behavior in Taiwan, you will never give your friends or family a clock. The sound of clock in Chinese mean if someone dead, you will go to his or her funerals. So it is really unlucky meaning to people in Taiwan. On the other hand, I heard from someone who told me, never ask American about age, salary, weight,...etc. Because they are Americana's privacy. I never ask about these to people in here. So most of time, I just talk about hobbies and favorite food to Americans. Because of culture different, I have experienced an uncomfortable situation from mainstream American culture. Two weeks ago, I went out with my neighbor who is American. We talked a lot and had a good time. After dinner, we said goodbye to each other, my neighbor suddenly hugged me. I was shocked and told him that I don't like it. I knew he didn't do it purposely, but I still feel uncomfortable. In Asian culture, we don't touch each other especially between men and women. Finally, my neighbor knew what I said and apologized for his manner. I think we should do anything to someone who is not the same country with you carefully or it would be easy to make misunderstanding

No comments: